Creating a daily practice of self-care will set you up for success and greater wellbeing. Here are some possibilities, but I highly recommend that you tune in to see what works well with your personal body and lifestyle.
PRACTICES OF EMOTIONAL SELF-CARE AND DESTRESSING:
I challenge you to try a different one of these each day and perhaps along the way discover a life-changing practice…
- Create a network of people who are supportive of your process and encourage you to tap into your innate wisdom rather than giving advice.
- Find a partner to practice Peer Counseling/Re-evaluation Counseling with. (More information on this here.)
- Take time each day to tap into your deepest self, the part of you that goes beyond any stresses of the external world. The most common way to achieve this is through meditation. Don’t know where or how to start? Try this simple meditation.
- Pamper yourself with a luxurious candlelit bath with essential oils and beautiful music
- Visit a beautiful spot in nature to watch the sunset and stars.
- Listen to an uplifting webinar or podcast. Here are ten TEDtalks that’ll change your life!
- Start a daily practice upon waking of visualizing your ideal day. Feel the elevated emotions of it actualizing.
- Put on inspiring and/or cathartic music and let your body dance with abandon.
- Pause regularly throughout your day to take some deep breaths. This helps you move out of stress and back into your flow.
- Ask someone to do something nice just for you.
- Do something creative such as an adult coloring book, try a new recipe, or rearrange a room.
- Begin and end your day by acknowledging what you are grateful for.
- Luxuriate in your body by stretching or doing yoga – just letting your body move in ways that feel good.
- Sing a song you love.
- Perform a random act of kindness – it feels great.
- Journal about the things you are processing in your life and see what Insights come about.
- Read some inspiring quotes, taking time to let them sink in.
- Celebrate all the accomplishments of your day.
- Take a nap.
- Spend three minutes deeply relaxing your body. Lying on the floor either with your knees bent or legs flat facilitates relaxation.
- Pause and notice something beautiful.
- Take a walk out in nature.
- Massage your feet, especially before going to sleep.
- Make a list of things you appreciate about yourself.
- Sit in the sunshine, close your eyes, and enjoy the sun on your face.
“Self-care is never a selfish act- it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on Earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer